Overview + Forms
Patient & Billing Information
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, call our office (518) 239-5200 or submit a request via our website and someone will contact you within two business days.
As an added service, we offer walk-in screening mammograms, but just like scheduled appointments, all walk-ins must have a script from their provider.
- Completed new patient forms: You can download and print these from our site, or have them mailed to you by request
- Insurance card(s): We need to verify your insurance coverage prior to providing services
- Photo ID: Driver’s license, passport, military or school ID card are all acceptable
- Provider referral script if applicable
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, it’s no problem; we just ask that you give us 48-hours’ notice.
Please be advised: late cancellations and no-shows do hurt our practice, and inconvenience those that we serve. If you fail to keep a scheduled appointment (which includes arriving more than 30 minutes late) or cancel with less than 48-hour notice three times, the practice does reserve the right to refuse future service.
- Guests: Due to the nature of services rendered, we ask that you limit appointments to yourself only unless you are a minor or have physical or developmental needs that require assistance. If you do bring a guest, we will ask your guest to remain in the waiting room while you receive care.
- Service Animals: Akira permits only service animals consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and New York State Department of Health within its facility.
- Cell Phones: We kindly ask that you silence your phone and refrain from use while receiving care.
- Privacy: To maintain patient confidentiality and privacy, the use of photographic or recording devices is strictly prohibited outside of areas denoted for photographic use. This includes smartphones, tablets, laptops or any other equipment.
Billing Information and Resources
Akira Billing Department
Phone: (518) 612-4108
8:30am to 4:30pm
Financial Policies and Resources
All copays or deductibles are due at the time of your visit, per your insurance coverage. For patients without health insurance, payment is expected at the time of service. We accept cash, check, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover) and PayPal. Please note, you may incur additional out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., copays, deductibles and/or coinsurance) for additional tests outside of your mammogram screening.
We think it’s a good idea to consult with your insurance provider ahead of a scheduled visit to make sure there are no surprises.
We’ll submit a claim to participating insurance providers on your behalf for services rendered. To prevent delays or rejection of your claim, please ensure that we have the most up-to-date insurance information, including any recent policy changes.
If you have questions about billed services not covered by your insurance company, please reach out to them directly. We’d like to help in whatever way we can, but ultimately it’s your insurance provider who determines which services are or aren’t covered, based on their policies and your particular plan.
For patients experiencing financial hardship, we invite you to speak with one of our patient benefits representatives to discuss options such as a payment plan, Medicaid eligibility or other available resources.
3rd Party Services (No Surprise Bill Act)
The No Surprise Bill Act which went into effect January 1, 2022, says medical providers must inform patients of any out of network charges associated with their in-network visit. We use a 3rd party for certain services like a pathology laboratory for biopsies. Depending on your insurance coverage, you may incur a separate bill from a 3rd party provider related to your care. A member of our team will inform you if a 3rd party provider is involved with your care.
New York State Mammography Law
In 2012, NYS passed legislation, Get Screened, No Excuses to improve access to breast cancer screenings which includes extended screen hours, elimination of deductibles, co-insurance or co-pays for mammograms and requiring employer to provide four hours of leave each year for employees for mammogram screenings. Learn more by visiting: www.ny.gov/programs/get-screened-no-excuses.
NYS Cancer Services Program
Uninsured? New York Cancer Services Program provides breast cancer screenings at no-cost to men and women who:
- Live in New York State
- Do not have health insurance
- Have health insurance with a cost share that may prevent a person from obtaining screening and/or diagnostic services
- Meet income eligibility requirements
- Meet age requirements
One of our patient benefits representatives will work with you to see if you qualify.